Maryland’s Autism Waiver allows eligible children and young adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder to receive waiver and Medicaid services to support them in their homes and communities. The Coordinating Center is contracted by local school systems to provide case management for their students on the Autism Waiver in Dorchester, Harford, Howard and Worcester counties.
The Autism Waiver is designed to serve individuals who:
- Are diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder as defined in the DSM 5.
- Are between the age of 1 and 21 who have either an Individualized Educational Program (IEP) or Individualized Family Services Plan (IFSP) with at least 15 hours per week of special education and related services.
- Meet an institutional level of care and can be safely supported in the community.
- Are not enrolled in any other Medicaid HCBS Waiver; however they can be simultaneously enrolled in REM.
Community Based Services
- Respite Care
- Environmental Accessibility Adaptations
- Family Training
- Intensive Individual Support Services
- Intensive Therapeutic Integration Services (after school program)
- Residential Habilitation (regular/intensive)
- Adult Life Planning
- Service Coordination
- Financial eligibility is based upon the child`s income and resources. The child’s combined assets may not exceed $2,000 or $2,500 per month (depending on eligibility category).
- A child must have a current ASD diagnosis, which is confirmed by an evidence-based evaluation tool.
Due to the high demand for the Autism Waiver and a defined number of slots, the Waiver is currently full. To apply for future services, families must call the registry to add their child to the list. The registry number is 1-866-417-3480.
If you have any additional questions please send an email to AutismWaiver@coordinatingcenter.org.